A BRIEF HISTORY OF NORTHWEST BAPTIST CHURCH
Northwest Baptist was established in 1913 as a Southern Baptist Church near the corner of Lee and Lexington in northwest Springfield. It was originally named Sunset Chapel since it was completed at sunset, and the first pastor was Reverend Chappell. There were six charter members.
In 1919, the church disbanded for a brief time, but with encouragement from Hamlin Church, reorganized with 13 members.
In 1921, the church purchased a lot at Milton (now Lexington) and Lee and completed a basement the following year.
The name was changed to Northwest Baptist in 1935. A new building was completed in 1944, and again in 1949, the building was enlarged and faced with white Carthage stone and four classrooms were added. In 1952, as growth continued, an educational building was added.
On October 29, 1978, the church was destroyed by a fire set by arsonists. In May, 1979, after meeting for 6 months in an old auditorium of the Broadway Church, the congregation purchased the East Avenue Baptist Church.
A building fund was established and the present building on Norton Road was built on property given to us by Broadway Baptist. The new facility was dedicated on November 23, 1997.
In 2006, an educational wing was built which also expanded our fellowship area for larger groups to get together. With God’s continued blessing, we look forward to another 100 years—or until Jesus returns.